About SHS

Construction of new museum, October 2015

Construction of new museum, October 2015

The Sitka Historical Society is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization.  At the time of its founding in 1957, the Society did not have a dedicated space to store and exhibit its collections, but in 1967, with the major support of the City and Borough of Sitka and volunteers, including long-time Sitka resident, Isabel Miller, the collections were moved to their new home in Harrigan Centennial Hall and the Museum opened its doors to the public.  In July of 2015, Harrigan Centennial Hall closed for major renovations.  While the new Sitka History Museum is under construction, staff will be busy working to document and preserve the collections and designing all new exhibits which will open in 2017. During the temporary closure, the Society will work hard to continue to offer exciting and educational programming to the community.