Donate an Artifact
Thank you for your interest in the Sitka History Museum’s collections and archives. Our mission is to preserve and promote the events, stories and artifacts of the human history of Sitka, as part of the Pacific Northwest coast of North America, to inspire, educate and benefit the Public and future generations. We appreciate you considering us as potential caretakers of your treasures.
Artifact Donation Policy
The Museum welcomes gifts of objects, photographs, and documents that enhance or develop the collection. Please do not send or drop off objects without prior consultation. All offers must be made in writing before delivering the artifact to the museum. Due to the high cost of managing the donation process and providing for the long-term care of our collections, the Sitka History Museum reserves the right to decline donations when necessary or appropriate.
Decisions about donations are made by the Collections Committee and voted on by the Museum’s Board of Directors based on the criteria listed below:
- The artifact’s relevance to the history of Sitka and Southeast Alaska
- The appropriateness of the artifact to the collection and research needs of the Museum
- The ability of the Museum to provide proper long-term care, storage, and conservation
- The artifact was collected and received in full compliance with all laws and regulations of the country of origin, individual states, and the federal government of the United States
- The artifact was acquired in a manner that does not damage the natural or cultural resources of Alaska
- The physical condition of the artifact
To offer an object for donation to the Sitka History Museum, please complete this Worksheet and submit it, along with a photograph of the object, electronically to the Curator of Collections & Exhibits, Kristy Griffin, at KristyGriffin@SitkaHistory.org or by mail to:
Curator of Collections & Exhibits
Sitka History Museum
210 Seward Street
Sitka, AK 99835
The Museum cannot provide an appraised value for donated artifacts. If a value is needed for tax purposes, please consult an individual appraiser. If a donation is accepted by the Museum, a Donation Letter and a Copy of the Deed of Gift will be supplied to the Donor.
The Museum is a not for profit organization and relies on donations to care for its collections. Please consider a monetary donation to help provide support for the care and management of your donation in perpetuity.
If you have questions or are interested in donating artifacts to the Museum, please contact the curator, Kristy Griffin, KristyGriffin@SitkaHistory.org or by telephoning (907) 747-6455.