Sitka History Museum Brewfest and BBQ Brisket Cook Off, October 18, 2:30-6:30, Totem square
Enjoy live music and beer garden and participate in BBQ brisket cook off. Sitka Histroical Society provides contestants with full brisket – includes point & flat – free of charge. No entry fee.
General Cook Off Rules
- There is no entry fee.
- The Sitka Historical Society will purchase one (1) – 11 to 15 lb brisket for all contestants (if requested) for the contest.
- Entry deadline – Oct. 17, 2018. Call Hal Spackman (907)738-3766 for entry form below and mail to: Sitka Historical Society, AK Day Brewfest Cook Off, 210 Seward St., Sitka, AK 99835.
- Entries may be individuals or teams.
- Contestants will be assigned a covered, open air, tented area on October 18.
- Contestants are to prepare and cook in the most sanitary manner possible.* See attached Safety Rules.
- Contestants may prepare entrées at home and bring finished entrée to the Brewfest. However, food must never fall below a hot holding temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Contestants may not sell any food or beverages, other than their entered entrée, at the Brewfest.
- Profits from the sell of the brisket will be go to the Sitka Historical Society.
Brisket Cook Off Rules
- Contestants must cook a minimum of 10 pounds of brisket.
- Brisket must be cooked on wood, or wood pellet heat, no sous-vides, par boiling or deep-frying allowed.
- Contestants must provide their own heat/cooking sources (SHS will provide electric plug ins).
- Tented area will be open for contestants to bring their own BBQ station for preparing brisket at 6:00 a.m., Oct. 18 (Contestants wishing to start earlier may request a space one day prior to the event).
- Brisket will be judged on taste, appearance, and texture.
- Precautions must be made to prevent fire and accidents.
- Contestants may reserve one serving for tasting and for the cook / team; but agree to donate the rest of their brisket to the Sitka History Museum (SHS will provide plates, forks and napkins).
- BBQ Brisket will be judged at 3:30 P.M.
- Contestants must submit for judging at least 3 slices of flat and 3 slices of point with burnt ends.
- Sauce is optional; all submissions shall be in unmarked containers provided by the judges.
- Garnish is optional
The Committee Chairperson reserves the right to make additional regulations as situations warrant.
Important: Please note, neither the Sitka Historical Society nor Totem Square Inn will be responsible for any accidents, theft, injuries, etc. during the Brew Festival Cook Off.