The Sitka History Museum (SHM) is committed to protecting the private information of those who interact with us online. The SHM website adheres to the following policy for ensuring the privacy of your and your children’s personally identifiable information.
Gathering and Use of Information
- You might be asked to provide some personally identifiable information in order to participate in some online activities, such as subscription registration for services such as email newsletters, events, or other museum programming.
- The SHM may use your personally identifiable information to extend promotional offers or to send administrative or service-related announcements.
- When you disclose personal information on the Museum website, we may use your address internally to inform you of events and opportunities at the Museum.
- We may use personally identifiable information in order to prevent improper use of our site, or as otherwise necessary to defend against or assist in the investigation of improper or illegal activity on the website.
- We may use or disclose your personally identifiable information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights; to protect the rights, safety, or property of others; and/or to participate in a judicial proceeding, comply with a court order, respond to other legal process served on us or our website, or complete a transaction involving the transfer of the Museum operations to which the information pertains, or due diligence and preparatory work relating to such a transaction.
If you do not wish to receive the communications described above, you may choose to “opt out.” Opting out may prevent your participation in activities for which personal information is needed (such as Museum programming or events). You may choose to restrict our use of your information to maintaining your registration on our website, or may ask us to refrain from disclosing your information to others. You may request that we receive information by telephone or postal mail. You may make such an opt-out request by sending an email to HalSpackman@SitkaHistory.org describing your request. We may, in our sole discretion, elect to delete your electronic information entirely rather than implementing a request to opt-out of certain data uses while continuing others.
Children (persons 12 years old or younger)
The SHM’s website is intended to be accessible and enjoyed by general audiences. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 12, without first providing the parent or legal guardian with notice and obtaining prior verifiable consent.
Users under 18 years of age cannot make credit card purchases on our website.
By contacting us at HalSpackman@SitkaHistory.org at any time, parents or guardians of users 12 years old or younger may review any personal information we have regarding their children, require us to change such information, or prohibit us from collecting or maintaining any such information.
Our website may offer links to forums or social media features that enable you to post information, comments, computer file uploads, recommendations, ratings, personal web logs (blogs) or other information. If you elect to post information to these sites, you should be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these features, which are open to the general public. Any identifiable information could be widely disclosed, posted elsewhere on the Internet, or used to contact you or send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums and urge users to exercise caution before publicly posting any personally identifiable information.
SHM Website Security
To ensure that that your credit card transaction is secure, the SHM uses PayPal. Notwithstanding our security measures, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of information provided via Internet or through our website.
Embedded Plug-Ins, Widgets, and Links
Within the SHM website there are embedded applications, plug-ins, widgets or links to non-SHM Websites. These sites operate independently of the SHM and have their own privacy policies. When you visit these sites, you leave our Website and no longer will be subject to our privacy and security policies. The SHM is not responsible for the privacy or security practices or the content of other sites, and such sites are not intended to be an endorsement of those sites or their content.
If you have any questions or concerns about this privacy statement, our online practices, or your dealings with this website, please contact: HalSpackman@SitkaHistory.org